Sunday, April 11, 2010

Web 2.0 Technologies?

Web 2.0 technology has definitely used some instructional strategies better than others. It's actually quite interesting to me to look in-depth at this simply because I am so used to seeing these things and know instantly if the strategy is working or not - if I am learning or not.


For example, I might use deductive reasoning with blogs in the classroom because I can give the rule and then add the example - and then many other people can add examples too, in the comments. I think that I learn best from comments on blogs because you can go so in depth with others. This would also work great with simulation and problem solving. Again, the comments section is so incredibly powerful when using a blog. 


I'm not sure if any instructional strategies wouldn't work for a blog in the classroom. It really has to fit the audience. If there are students who might learn best with deductive reasoning, and then others wtih inductive reasoning - so be it. The educator should really know how ot utilize all of these strategies or shouldn't be using a blog in the first place!

I think that blogs could be used in my classroom in a variety of ways. It could be used for updates for parents who want to check in on homework assignments. It could also be used to blog to the community as to what happens in the classroom and interesting ideas for speaking Spanish at home. Finally, the one thing that I really enjoy doing is having students learn about culture through a blog. this summer the students will be able to follow along as I embark on my 'real' journey to Latin America as we go about saving the rainforest and families along the way (clearly there is more to the story) and students will learn in a fun environment about Ecuador, Peru, Argentina, Colombia, etc. 


Finally, as I said before, there are Web 2.0 technologies that may not support an instructional strategy very well. However, if there were limited Web 2.0 technologies in your district, there are some reasons to use it to give your students a more engaging experience. Except, what if it's difficult to implement your subject matter with those technologies, like teaching math facts with a blog? I think that the answer is that you really have to plan out what you're doing. You can't just throw something together and think it's going to work. Ideas have to be well-thought through.  

No comments:

Post a Comment